How to Install Windows in a Virtual Machine in Linux(Ubuntu)

Recently I wanted to run Windows inside my Primary OS -  Ubuntu 12.04. I didn't want to go for dual boot option so I decided to use a virtual machine and install Windows inside Ubuntu. I faced couple of problems and here share my experience with how I overcame them.

In choosing a Virtual machine I tried out 2 options. Oracle VM VirtualBox and VMware Player that is available in Ubuntu Software Centre. I could create a virtual machine successfully hitting 'new' button and following the wizard. Then I started the created machine, pointing to the CD image. It tried to load Windows files and then printed the following error on screen.

Attempting to load a 64-bit application, This CPU is not compatible with 64-bit mode.

But my machine has a 64 bit processor. So something has gone wrong. The issue has been my BIOS settings in the host machine has not enabled hardware virtualization. So I manually did it. My machine was a Lenovo ThinkPad T530 and could find this setting under security tab of BIOS as virtualization. So I enabled it there and tried again. This error was fixed.

So I moved forward with VirtualBox. Oh here came another one.

Error status 0xc0000225

This was simpler to fix. Just went to,
VirtualBox>Settings>System>Motherboard and under Extended Features, ticked 'Enable IO APIC'. This has enabled Advanced Programmable Interrupt Controllers which has been requirement for Windows installation.

Cheers, now it is installed!
 






Popular posts from this blog

Signing SOAP Messages - Generation of Enveloped XML Signatures

How to convert WSDL to Java

How to Write a Custom User Store Manager - WSO2 Identity Server 4.5.0